Human Rights Campaign

Describing a familyblend?

Rights for Familyblendz

Gay New Jersey couples seek marriage rights

Monday, October 12, 2009

What Truly Defines Me: We the People


On this path to Equality for all americans, it appears safe to ask the question, "Are you Gay or a Gay American first"? I am neither...first. I am an American first. Before we begin discussing how others can be more fair to the GLBT community, we might need to ensure we are being true to our american pledge as well.

We want secured borders, safe schools and places of employment, as well as freedoms to speak, worship and to protest. That's not to limit all of the things in between, but for one moment, should we burn the flag of that which offers us so much that others would spill their blood to have?

Just as equality came to women,President Woodrow Wilson in 1920, urged Congress to pass what became the 19 Amendment which prohibited state and federal agencies from gender-based restrictions on voting,the american process should not be ignored to move the political agenda in our direction.

President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the 15th Amendment eliminating skin color from voting elibility, therefore awarding people of color their voice in 1964.

Today, President Obama raises two daughters that look just like mine in the White House and could very well be the president who give me and the rest of the GLBT a voice...even within our american-ism. Today my daughters are not "female americans" nor do I consider myself an "African American"...I am an American. And after this equality battle is over, I will still be just an american.

The Father of daughters who have a voice thanks to the Womens Sufferage Movement; I am of african descent, yet with a strong voice within the electoral college thanks to Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement; I am Gay...and speaking Out-loud in the Gay Rights/Equality Movement!